Why does Colon Health Matter?
Your colon is one of those things that you never want to talk, or really even think about … until it gives you trouble. But, if not treated properly, it can result in a deadly situation. Conversely, if you do pay attention to colon health and do the right things to take care of it, you may increase your chances of avoiding colon issues like colorectal cancer.
Good colon health provides regularity and prevents constipation and fatigue. When the colon is working well, the body has more energy and is stronger and better able to fight off disease. Who couldn’t use more energy and immunity right now?
According to the American Cancer Society, 100,000 colon cancer diagnoses are given each year. One in 22 men and one in 24 women will eventually develop colorectal cancer and only 10% of colon cancers are hereditary. This means taking steps to ensure a healthy colon can make a huge difference in avoiding the disease!
So without further adieu, here they are:
10 Tips for a Healthy Colon
- Diet matters
- Get plenty of fiber. Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. The American Cancer Society recommends at least 2 ½ cups per day. Not only are these foods high in fiber, but they also offer nutrients and antioxidants.
- Limit red meats and processed meats. Saturated fats increase the risk of colon cancer.
- Drink more water – drinking water helps flush toxins out of the body. The standard suggested amount is 8 or more glasses of water a day.
- Chew food more thoroughly – take time to relax while eating your meals. It is recommended you chew each bite 30 times before swallowing for optimal support for your digestive system and colon.
- Exercise – Exercise encourages better digestion and more consistent bowel movements. Break up long periods of sitting with short walks.
- Keep your weight in check – According to the American Cancer Society, being overweight can increase your risk of colon cancer – even if you are fit.
- Get screened – Colonoscopies can detect cancer and also allow medical professionals to remove polyps, assisting in the prevention of colon cancer.Start getting regular colonoscopy screening at the age of 50 or earlier if you have family members who have been diagnosed with colon cancer.
- Limit alcohol consumption – Studies show that too much alcohol can cause many forms of cancer. The recommendation is no more than 2 drinks per day for men, and 1 for women.
- Reduce stress – The stress of everyday life can cause distress for the digestive system so find ways you can eliminate or reduce the amount you have in your life.
- Get Vitamin D – One of the most important vitamins for colon health is vitamin D. The most natural way to get it is straight from the sun. If you are unable to get enough sun year-round or work inside during daylight hours, vitamin D can also be found in fatty fish, bread, cereal, and milk. Many people find the easiest way to get the recommended amount of vitamin D is through supplements like a multi-vitamin.
Cleanse your colon – take a supplement specifically designed to assist with colon health. Effective Natural Products line of health supplements for men includes Clean Colon capsules – an herbal, thermogenic & fiber blend, that offers the ingredients the colon needs to remove toxins and boost energy.