Are you planning to reduce weight or you just want a low Kerb diet? If so, then the keto diet is perfect for you.
The keto diet has gained popularity in America and across the globe because so many people have learned its benefits. The keto diet is a special diet, and this means that you will have to change your diet completely. In case you are wondering how to start keto, then read on to know all you need to know about keto dieting.
The ketogenic diet is not so easy to understand, especially for beginners. It might require you to buy different food types that you are not used to, and you might not know where to get them. Read on to find out more on how to start the keto diet.
What Is a Keto Diet?
A ketogenic diet is a low-carb, high-fat, low to moderate protein diet that helps your body to burn fats much more easily. The goal of a keto diet is to get your body to reach a state of ketosis.
Ketosis: this is a metabolic state whereby your body only uses a highly efficient fuel known as ketones. For you to produce enough ketones and reach a state of ketosis, you must keep trigging a process known as ketogenesis, and the only healthy way to do this is by avoiding carbs. This is why the keto diet is referred to as the low-carb diet.
Ketogenesis is recommended by many doctors because it does not harm the body in any way. Some few benefits of keto include:
- It promotes weight loss
- Promotes good health
- It helps the body to perform well generally
- Increased energy levels
- Skin improvement
- Low blood pressure
- And Blood sugar control among others
If you notice that you have more energy than you did before, lost your appetite, and the smell of your urine has changed, then you know that you have entered ketosis. It takes around 3 days after beginning a keto friendly diet to enter ketosis. However, your body will take a few more weeks to start burning down fats.
Best Keto Foods and What to Avoid
The keto diet is a special diet. You cannot just eat anything when trying to reach ketosis. Getting rid of carbohydrates is one of the significant challenges of this diet. Here are some of the recommended food that you can eat.
- Leafy green vegetables like spinach, kale, and lettuce
- Vegetables that grow above the ground such as asparagus, cauliflower, and zucchini.
- Chicken and turkey
- All kinds of seafood
- Meat including pork and pork products like bacon
- Healthy fats like butter, coconut oil, olive oil, and avocado oil
- Full-fat dairies such as heavy cream and cheese
- Low carb condiments for example mustard, hot sauce, and mayo
- Sugar-free beverages. This means if you choose to drink tea or coffee, it should be sugarless
- All herbs and spices
- Sugar-free sweeteners
- Nuts and seeds in moderation
- Low carb fruits like avocados
- Raspberries and coconuts should be taken in moderation
There are also low carb flours like coconut, almond, and flaxseed meal that you can take in moderation.
Foods to Avoid
The following are the foods that you need to avoid while on a keto diet, in fact totally, why don’t you go ahead and get rid of them from your house completely but if you have family members that are not on the same diet as you, you can store them differently to avoid temptations.
- All grains, including grain products like bread, oats, cereal, pasta, etc.
- Legumes apart from nuts that you can take in moderation
- Starchy vegetables like potatoes and sweet potatoes
- All sugar-rich food and drinks like soda, candy, chocolate, honey, cakes, ice cream, maple syrup, etc.
- Low-fat dairy products and milk
- Fruits that are high in sugar like bananas, grapes, apples, pineapples, and more
- Processed low carb foods. To know this, you have to read the label of the products that you buy carefully.
- Vegetable and seed oils including margarine
Today, you can easily buy ketoned meals online. When you shop here, you not only get the perfect meal but free delivery too.
How to Start Keto
After acquiring all the correct food items. You can go ahead and start a keto diet. This is what you should do:
1. Eat More Fats
Keto is all about using fats, and that is why you need to consume a lot of fats. This is one of the tips on how to start keto.
Ketosis fats are your sole source of energy and satiety. Fats are the levers of weight loss; you can push them up or down; therefore, if you want to lose a lot of weight with this diet, then eat just enough.
2. Limit Your Protein
Keto diet is not a high protein diet. High proteins not only stresses the kidneys but also converts to glucose, and this means you will not burn down fats.
3. Take a Lot of Water
A keto diet can easily lead to dehydration because it depletes the glycogen in the liver. You need to drink at least 16 glasses of water each day.
4. Keep up the Electrolytes
This diet easily flushes out electrolytes, and this can make you feel sick, though temporarily. Do not forget to salt your food well, drink bone broth, and pickled vegetables. You can also take supplements under doctors’ advice.
5. Only Eat When You Have To
When on this diet, you do not have to eat 3 square meals and snacks; you should only eat when you are hungry. Importantly, you need to differentiate between hunger and
This is not a must, but if your goal is to lose weight, exercising will only make it happen faster.
7. Eat whole foods
Processed foods are an enemy of keto because they promote cravings and mess up with your appetite. Try to eat only natural and whole foods.
Consider These Simple Ways on How to Start Keto
Keto is not just about eating the right food but eating them in the right way. Even though it might seem challenging to get into a state of ketosis, once you know how to start keto, it won’t be as hard. Remember, the keto diet is not only about losing weight but staying healthy too.
If you want to know more about staying in perfect health, visit our website and read more about how to improve on your health.