What are superfoods?
When it comes to losing weight, anyone who has tried can tell you that what you eat is the most important aspect in the entire process. You may spend all day at the gym but if you keep feeding your body junk, your efforts might not be fruitful; pun very much intended.
With diet being such an important aspect to losing weight and staying fit, things like superfoods is all the rage in the fitness world. So what exactly are superfoods? No, a superfood is not a fruit or veggie that wears a cape and saves kitties from trees. It is a group of foods believed to possess natural compounds that help with maintenance of health. One of the reasons why they are referred to as ‘super’ foods is the fact that you do not need to consume very much to get all the benefits.
Many of these have been proven to be very useful as far as weight loss is concerned. Some actually help to burn fat; others help reduce appetite while others act as healthier substitutes to enemies of weight loss progress. Strictly speaking, their specific modes of action are inexhaustible. However, it is safe to say that their effectiveness is undeniable with benefits including everything from weight loss and detoxification to aesthetics and prevention of chronic illnesses.
Below are 20 of the top superfoods in 2017 as far as weight loss in specific is concerned:
Superfoods List 2017
- Eggs – Eggs provide multiple nutrients including protein, carbohydrates and minerals. To get the most out of its weight loss benefits, avoid cooking methods that involve the use of oil.
- Nuts – Nuts are rich in proteins and healthy fats. They also have a water binding nature that is responsible for the feeling of satiety. This makes them perfect low calorie snacks to keep you going before your next meal.
- Acai berries – These are rich in antioxidants including anthocyanin. Detoxification is one of the most important processes during weight loss and this berry ensures that your body gets all the help it needs.
- Steel cut oats – These have higher fiber content than their processed counterparts. This comes in handy during the digestion process and ensures that your digestive system is functioning optimally.
- Olives – In addition to the many other benefits, olives are rich in monosaturated fat. This is a much healthier alternative to unsaturated fats common in processed food and deep fried snacks.
- Salmon – Salmon is one of the main sources of Omega 3 with the lean protein being an added advantage to consumers. It is a great substitute to ordinary red meat which in addition to hindering weight loss has many other negative effects on the body.
- Whole grain cereals – Brown rice and bran flakes in particular are legit superfoods as far as weight loss is concerned. Whole grain cereals are rich in fiber and healthy fats and are known to produce a feeling of prolonged satiety that prevents overeating. Bran flakes also have the added advantage of helping with actual burning of fat after the cereal has been digested.
- Red wine – It increases High Density Lipoproteins (HDL) that is a form of fat also referred to as good cholesterol. This helps with both weight loss and prevention of coronary heart diseases and atherosclerosis.
- Garlic – It contains compounds that are useful in lowering of cholesterol levels in the blood. Garlic is also useful in detox which is important for weight loss.
- Quinoa – This rice-like grain is rich in proteins and is one of the only single foods capable of providing all essential amino acids. It is a much healthier alternative to high carb rice and wheat.
- Green Tea– Green tea is important for detoxification and is also useful in fat burning during the body’s metabolic function.
- Berries – Strawberries and blueberries are the two main berries that are considered actual superfoods important in weight loss. Their main benefit is detoxification. However, as citrus fruits they contain certain compounds believed to be useful in the process of fat breakdown.
- Watermelon – Watermelon is a great fruit rich in Vitamins, fiber and water. It is a great snack to factor into your diet if you are trying to lose weight.
- Spinach – Spinach comes in handy during the weight loss process with calcium being one of the most important constituent compounds. It is also rich in fiber that helps with digestion.
- Ginger – Ginger has for a long time been used as an antioxidant and these effects are still appreciated by people trying to get and stay fit. Fat burning is also another benefit from compounds found in ginger.
- Beetroot – It is a great alternative to sugar as a sweetener mainly due to the natural and unprocessed nature.
- Beans – Beans are high protein and high fiber superfoods best known for the satiety they offer.
- Lentils – Lentils are also rich in fiber as well as protein which is the perfect combination when trying to lose weight.
- Avocadoes – They are rich in healthy fats. They can therefore be used as alternatives to many different things including bread spread and sandwich stuffing.
- Cinnamon – Cinnamon helps to lower Low Density Lipoproteins and increases glucose metabolism.
After all is said and done, the top 20 superfoods described above are worthy of the popularity they have received. So if you are trying to lose weight, trade in the chips and soda for these healthier alternatives and watch as your life changes before your very eyes.
Photo by wuestenigel