MCT Oil is a wonder food! MCTs are a type of healthy fat metabolized quickly and efficiently by your body, making them the perfect addition to your diet! In addition, MCT oil has many health benefits, such as boosting brain function and decreasing inflammation in the body.
MCT oil can be used for cooking or eating because it will taste great on top of any food. It also combines well with other extracts, so it’s often used as a carrier oil in things like CBD products. MCT oils also have anti-aging properties, so they’re great for looking younger too!
In this article, we’ll discuss MCT oils, MCT oil’s health benefits, and MCT oil recipes to make your MCT oil journey easier.
Get to Know MCT Oil
MCT oils are a type of fat that is derived from medium-chain-triglycerides. MCTs are made up of saturated fats and, unlike long-term fats, MCTs digest quickly.
MCT oil can be sourced from a variety of different places. However, it is not always a straightforward process to get MCT oil, as it depends on the specific MCT oil manufacturer’s purpose.
MCT oil can be sourced from both coconut and palm kernel sources. Each different type of MCT oil will have its own specific source. Some companies use a combination of palm kernel and coconut sources for their MCT oil products. They can make this combination due to there being different types of fatty acids found within each source.
Regardless of the source of your MCT oil or how you take it, it will be good for your health. Here are nine benefits:
- Energy Boost: MCT oil contains caprylic acid, lauric acid and capric acid, which metabolize into ketone bodies in the liver. Ketone bodies help fuel working muscles and can also be used by the brain when blood glucose levels are low (i.e., if you haven’t eaten).
- Digestive Benefits: MCT oil is easily digested and absorbed when consumed with meals. It can help suppress appetite and reduce ghrelin levels (hormones that tell your brain that you are hungry).
- Weight Control: MCT oil is quickly metabolized by the liver, which helps boost the metabolism of fat cells. As we mentioned, it also makes you feel full, decreasing the likelihood that you will snack between meals and overeat during meals.
- Heart Health: When used as part of a balanced diet, MCT oil can help keep your heart healthy by providing an efficient energy source for the heart muscle. This is because ketones are metabolized by the heart and maybe protective against oxidative stress.
- Healthy Skin: MCT oil helps keep skin moisturized and supple, which can promote a healthy appearance. It also makes it easier for other nutrients to penetrate the skin.
- Healthy Brain: Your brain is mainly made up of fatty acids, the primary energy source for your neurons and glial cells. Ketone bodies are quickly metabolized by the brain and have been shown to protect against neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s disease.
- Mood Enhancement: People with mood disorders like depression may benefit from MCT oil consumption because MCT oil’s fatty acids help to support neurotransmitter production.
- Delivery System: Due to being easily digested, MCT oil makes an excellent delivery system for other beneficial compounds like hemp-extracted cannabidiol. This is why CBD with MCT oil is such a good pairing and is so popular.
- Healthy Immune System: MCTs are a healthy food source for gut bacteria, an integral part of your immune system. MCTs also promote satiety and suppress appetite, as mentioned above. This means that you have an increased likelihood of getting the nutrients you need for optimal health when eating MCT oil.
How to Take MCT Oil
Some common ways to buy and consume MCT oil are in its typical oil form, as supplement capsules and in powder form.
- MCT Oil: The traditional way to use MCT oil is in its liquid form. It will usually come in an opaque or dark-colored bottle to protect it from sunlight, which can cause damage to the fatty acids. It’s best to store these in a dark, cool place. It doesn’t need to be refrigerated after opening, but that won’t hurt it. Better a bit cooler than too warm!
- MCT Oil Capsules: You can buy MCT oil capsules from many different online and offline stores. The best MCT oil capsules are made from 100% pure MCTs. They are a convenient way of adding MCTs to your diet without dealing with liquid MCT oil. It’s also great for those who don’t like the taste.
- MCT Oil Powders: MCT oil powders usually contain MCT oils from coconut oil. MCT powders come in many flavors, such as chocolate and vanilla, so they’re generally quite delicious! MCT oil powder is also great for cooking or adding to your morning coffee or smoothie. Many love the convenience of the powders, which are perfect for a keto diet!
Where to Buy MCT Oil
MCT oil, capsules, or powder can be bought at a health food store, a pharmacy, or online. When purchasing any of these products, be sure to check for ingredients and check the label for the words “pure MCT oil.” Always follow dosage guidelines and ask a pharmacist or doctor for advice if you are unsure.
MCT oil is a healthy addition to your diet that can be used in tea, coffee, or smoothies. It can also be drizzled on breakfast foods like oatmeal and yogurt, salad dressing, pasta sauce, and soup. Just remember not to cook with it because the high heat will destroy the beneficial properties.