Since we have yet to find the mysterious Fountain of Youth, many companies have created anti-aging creams and serums to reduce at least the appearance of aging. We are told that regular use of these wonder products will fill in fine lines, smooth wrinkles, and give us a youthful glow. Women all over the world smear their faces with anti-aging products every day in an attempt to combat the signs displayed on their skin. But the real question we are all dying to have answered is, “Do anti-aging creams actually work?”
Experts at Nuskin and other industry leaders put anti-aging creams through a scientific testing process and discovered that the answer to the above question is both yes and no. In other words, using a product once, twice, or intermittently, will not produce any noticeable results in a miraculous show of reverse aging. However, regular and consistent use of any type of moisturizer does result in younger looking and healthier skin. And on top of that, anti-aging products produce the same results and then some, meaning that additional ingredients in these products will bring additional benefits.
Anti-aging creams and serums are essentially pumped up moisturizers with super ingredients. The active ingredients that are found in these types of products perform specific functions for our skin.
- Vitamin C – Vitamin C protects skin from sun damage and helps to reduce fine lines and wrinkles with its powerful antioxidant punches.
- Vitamin A / Retinoids – These are also used to help repair skin damaged by the sun and to smooth out wrinkles.
- Peptides – Peptides are naturally found in living organisms and are used to ignite collagen production, which improves the texture and smoothness of skin.
- Tea Extracts – Tea Extracts have anti-inflammatory properties and are great for reducing redness, puffiness, and wrinkling. They also contain antioxidants to fight free radicals.
- Niacinamide – This ingredient is similar to Niacin, or Vitamin B3. It improves skin elasticity by preventing water loss.
Choosing Anti-Aging Creams
Unfortunately, the FDA has little to say about what goes into cosmetic products, so there is no way to guarantee that one product will work better than another. Also keep in mind that everyone has different skin, which means certain products are better for some people than others.
That being said, let’s narrow it down a bit. More expensive products will not necessarily work better than less expensive ones, so don’t blow your budget. Prescription products will usually work better than over the counter. And finally, the best thing you can do for your skin is to never skip sunscreen!