Everything You Need To Know About Damp And How It Could Be Affecting Your Health

How much do you know about damp and how it could be affecting your health? We’re guessing not a lot. Whilst you may of never have had to deal with damp in your home, it is vital that you understand how to prevent it and what to do should it occur in the future. Naturally, you may want to keep your damp proofing cost to a minimum, but it’s vital that you prevent severe damp and mould in your home yourself in order to maintain good health for you and your family – otherwise you may end up paying more to remove it! Find out everything you need to know about damp and how it could be affecting your health below.

What Causes Damp & Mould?

As mentioned previously, it is paramount that you find the source of the problem immediately before conditions worsen.  When it comes to understanding the causes of damp and mould, it is important that you understand that damp and mould are a result of excess moisture in your home, which may be caused by rising damp, leaking pipes, condensation or rain seeping into the roof as a result of damage. Nevertheless, newly-built homes are just as at risk. A newly-built home may experience damp if that water used during construction is still drying out, such as the plaster on the walls.  

Who Is Affected?

When it comes to understanding the fundamentals of damp, it is paramount that you understand that some people are more sensitive to damp and mould than others. Elderly people often have a greater reaction to damp and mould in the home, for example. This also includes:

  • Babies and children
  • Individuals with existing skin problems, such as eczema
  • Individuals with respiratory problems, such as asthma
  • Individuals with a weakened immune system

Even though it is not always possible, it is vital that these people stay away from both damp and mould the best they can in order to ensure good health.

How Does It Affect My Health?

Mould can affect your health in several ways. Damp in your home often results in the growth of mould which produces allergens – harmful substances that can cause deadly allergic reactions. As well as producing allergens, mould can also produce irritants and even toxic substances, which is why it is paramount you find the source of the problem immediately. Touching or inhaling mould especially may cause an allergic reaction. As a result, you may experience sneezing, a runny nose or red eyes. More seriously, mould can also cause asthma attacks.

How To Treat Damp & Mould

If you have found damp or mould in your home, it is imperative that you find the source of the problem as soon as possible to ensure the damp and mould doesn’t spread to another part of your home. Find out exactly how to treat damp and mould below.


As mentioned, rising damp and leaking pipes encourage the build-up of excess moisture in your home, commonly known as condensation. Luckily for you, there are several things you can do to help prevent the rapid build-up of condensation indoors, including by:

  • Putting lids on saucepans when cooking
  • Drying all washing outside
  • Refraining from using bottled gas heaters
  • Ventilating rooms by opening the window to allow air to circulate around your home
  • Ensuring that your home is insulated
  • Heating your home

Removing Mould From Your Home

When it comes to removing mould from your home, it is paramount that you do it correctly in order to protect your good health. In order to remove mould safely, it is crucial that you wear protection clothing that can be abandoned once the mould has been successfully extracted from your home. As well as protecting your hands, arms and legs, it is principal that you wear nose and mouth protection in order to reduce the amount of harmful allergens you inhale. To remove mould, you should fill a bucket with water and washing up liquid and use a piece of old cloth dipped into the soapy substance to remove mould from the wall. When removing mould, you should use a wiping motion instead of brushing, as brushing the mould can result in the release of additional mould spores.

Photo by Angela Schmeidel Randall