The keto diet has become very popular, with celebrities and medical personnel endorsing its benefits in many major publications. According to the scientific literature, the ketogenic or keto diet can help people lose weight and may reduce the risk of diabetes and Alzheimer’s disease. It may also benefit patients with epilepsy and cancer. Marudeen Aivaz explains the basics of the keto diet and offers lists of foods that are and are not recommended when following the plan.
Basics of the Keto Diet
The keto diet is a low-carb, high-fat diet which is related to the Atkins diet but goes further in its near-elimination of carbs. When people follow the keto diet, the body goes into a metabolic state which is known as ketosis. Their bodies become very efficient at burning fat to create energy. It also encourages the production of chemicals called ketones in the liver. These chemicals support the brain.
Keto dieters can expect to lose a great deal of weight if they follow the diet religiously. The diet is particularly good for diabetics and pre-diabetics since it lowers levels of blood sugar and decreases insulin resistance.
Benefits of the Keto Diet
Keto dieters find that they are satisfied when following the diet and that they do not experience any feelings of deprivation that are typical when following other diet plans. This enables people to lose weight without counting calories. Many people find this plan much easier to follow and more convenient to fit into their daily lives.
The high protein intake of the keto diet produces many benefits for the mind and body. Protein helps your body feel full while consuming less food overall. This is due to the fact that protein reduces the level of ghrelin, the hunger hormone. When people increase their protein intake, they are able to eat fewer calories each day while maintaining a healthy diet.
Protein also helps people reduce belly fat, an important risk factor for diabetes and heart disease.
Dietary fats are also crucial to a healthy diet. Fats are important because they provide energy and support for cell growth. Fat also protects the organs in the body and helps to keep the body at a constant temperature.
On the keto diet, people are encouraged to eat more saturated fat than commonly recommended in most diet plans. This difference is what sets keto apart from other low-carb diet plans.
- Eggs: While eggs are high in cholesterol, they are still recommended on the keto diet. They are an excellent source of protein.
- Butter: Butter is another recommended food. If possible, find grass-fed butter.
- Meat: All meats are recommended on the keto diet. From beef to chicken, these foods are packed with protein and nutrients.
- Fatty Fish: Fatty fish contains high levels of omega-3 fatty acids. These fish include mackerel, tuna, trout, and salmon.
- Avocados: Avocado is another excellent source of healthy fat. They are also creamy and satisfying.
- Vegetables with Low Carb Content: Most vegetables are permitted on the keto diet. Cucumber, peppers, tomatoes, and lettuce are only a few examples. Make sure that you do not eliminate vegetables from your diet because they are important sources of fiber and other nutrients.
Foods Which Are Not Recommended
- Potatoes: Potatoes are high in carbs and can also be high on the metabolic index.
- Fruit: While fruit is good for you because it contains fiber and vitamins, it should be avoided on the keto diet.
- Pasta: Pasta is especially high in carbohydrates.
- Bread: Whole wheat and regular bread should be avoided.
- Beer: Beer is high in carbohydrates.
- Sweets and Candy: Candy and sweets are definitely not recommended on the keto diet.
- Diet Drinks: Avoid drinking diet sodas on the keto diet. These can interfere with your body’s production of ketones.
- Sweetened Drinks: Avoid all sweetened drinks including juice. These are sources of huge amounts of carbs.
- Corn and Beans: While these are nutritious foods, they are very high in carbs.
Follow the Keto Diet for Good Health
Marudeen Aivaz encourages everyone to consult their doctors and see if keto diet would work well first. It is an easy diet plan to follow, and it produces many great benefits to the body and mind. Most people who are on the keto diet can expect to lose weight and decrease their risk of diabetes.