What is the kidneys’ primary function?
The kidneys are two bean-shaped organs located in the back of the abdomen. They have several functions, but their primary function is to filter blood and remove waste products from the body through urine.
What are some tips for keeping your kidneys healthy?
- Drink plenty of fluids – The kidneys need to stay hydrated in order to function properly, so make sure to drink plenty of fluids throughout the day. Water is always the best option, but other healthy options include unsweetened tea and low-sodium broth.
- Eat a healthy diet – A healthy diet is important for overall health, and it can also help to keep your kidneys healthy. Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and limit your intake of salt, saturated fat, and sugar.
- Get regular exercise – Exercise is good for your overall health, and it can also help to keep your kidneys healthy. Regular exercise can help to lower blood pressure and improve blood flow to the kidneys.
- Avoid smoking – Smoking is bad for your overall health, and it can also damage the kidneys. Smoking can increase your risk of developing kidney disease or other problems with kidney function.
- Manage medical conditions – If you have any medical conditions, such as diabetes or high blood pressure, it’s important to manage them properly. Having these conditions puts you at higher risk for developing kidney disease, so it’s important to keep them under control.
- Get regular checkups – Be sure to see your doctor for regular checkups. They can help to monitor your kidney health and catch any problems early.
- Know your family history – If you have a family history of kidney disease, you may be at higher risk for developing the condition yourself. Be sure to tell your doctor about your family history so they can keep an eye on your kidneys.
- Don’t take over-the-counter medications without talking to your doctor – Some over-the-counter medications can be harmful to the kidneys. If you’re taking any over-the-counter medications, be sure to talk to your doctor about whether or not they’re safe for you to take.
- Avoid illegal drugs – Illegal drugs can be harmful to the kidneys. If you’re taking any illegal drugs, be sure to talk to your doctor about the risks and how to protect your kidneys.
- Donate blood – Donating blood can help to keep your kidneys healthy. When you donate blood, your kidneys filter out the impurities in the blood. This helps to keep them functioning properly and can also help to prevent kidney disease.
By following these tips, you can help keep your kidneys healthy and reduce your risk of kidney disease.
If you have any concerns about your kidneys, or if you are experiencing kidney problems, be sure to see a doctor at the Texas Kidney Institute. They can help to diagnose and treat any problems you may be having. For more information and resources about keeping your kidneys healthy, visit www.texaskidneyinstitute.com today.