Have you faced the ill-effects of humidity in your home and in turn, your health? If yes, it’s time for you to take a look around and make certain changes in the way you live. Moisture and humidity is a big issue for homes which are located in tropical areas. Even cold regions face certain adverse effects.
Understand the weather in your region and make the necessary changes to your home before it is too late.
Problems faced due to excessive humidity
- Patchy paint- Due to excess humidity and moisture, the paint from walls can easily peel off. If you have wallpapered walls, the problem will get aggravated and lead to worsening of the situation.
- Condensation- Moisture in the air can lead to condensation on surfaces like windows, and this is common due to the temperature difference between indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spots- Blackish or yellow mold and mildew is one of the first signs of excess humidity and moisture. It is not only harmful to the health but also imparts an unpleasant stench.
- Rotting wood- Wooden furniture and fixtures get severely affected by moisture. Wood can start rotting if exposed to moisture for too long.
- Allergies- People who have asthma and other respiratory conditions, find it very difficult to survive in these situations. The air is heavy and damp is a constant source of irritation. Mold growth makes the situation worse and can be very harmful to the health.
- Water run-off- Basements are very prone to flooding, and as a result, it can lead to water retention. This damages floors and other materials. Water leakage should be immediately fixed by professional help to avoid it in the future. It’s worth opting for something like vinyl flooring if you have persistent damp so it doesn’t get ruined added Karndean Sussex.
- Water damage- Water leakage or stains should be tracked down immediately. A damaged or burst pipe could be the source, or it could be any water source in the house.
- Plants- Plants cause moisture to retain in the air and is also a source of various organisms which can be harmful to indoors.
Solutions to combat the problem-
- Dehumidifiers- These work effectively to get rid of excess moisture in the house. They are affordable too!
- Ventilation- There is nothing like a good ventilated home which allows a lot of fresh air in, helping to get rid of unwanted moisture.
- Gutters- Clean gutters ensure avoidance of water retention and leakage.
- Moderating temperature- This should be done to make sure that there is no condensation on surfaces and there is a temperature balance between indoors and outdoors.
- Exhaust- Exhausts in washrooms and kitchens is a must, and this helps in letting out damp and moist air.
- Plants- They should be kept preferably outdoors.
- Insulation- Pipe sweating can be avoided by making sure that the pipes in your home are properly insulated.
Damp and humid air leads to a lot of health-related problems along with unwanted mold and mildew growth. Avoid this by following the above steps by yourself or by seeking professional help from Vochtbestrijding Snel. They are great with dealing with humidity control issues and will transform your house into a healthy home.