4 Ways Your Home could be Hurting Your Health

Most people think of their home as a sanctuary. It’s a place to relax with family members and to remove yourself from the stresses of your job. Although you may think of your home as this perfect place to relax and unwind, it’s actually quite possible that your home could be causing more harm than good to your overall health. There are certain facets lurking inside homes that are extremely bad for your health. Check out the following four ways that your home could actually be hurting your health.

  1. Pests

Bugs and insects are small enough to fit through even the tiniest crack, so you shouldn’t feel disgusted if you catch an ant or a spider crawling through your home every now and then. However, there are certain pests that actually do cause severe illness and disease. For example, if you have mice or rats in your home, you are susceptible to the bad bacteria found in their feces. This can cause you to feel sluggish or even cause headaches. To make matters worse, you could also fall victim to more serious illnesses, like rat-bite fever.

Besides mice and rats, you should also be mindful of cockroaches, mites, and fleas. These animals also have harmful feces or can harm you with a bite, so if you notice a rash or a bite, or if you are starting to have difficulty breathing, you need to make sure that you have your home inspected. An exterminator will not only be able to locate an infestation, but they will also be able to rid your home of the pests and get you back to being healthy.

  1. Mold

Mold is finicky and it can cause a great deal of health trouble and complications. Mold can be found anywhere in your home, but it’s extremely common in areas that contain water, such as kitchens, bathrooms, and basements. If you notice a leak anywhere in your home, it’s very important that you call an experienced plumber to look at the issue. These professionals will be able to assess the situation and help stop the problem before it becomes serious.

If you believe that your home already has mold, you should call a professional, especially if it’s black. Black mold is the most dangerous, and if you inhale this, it can cause sneezing and chronic coughing. Even if your home has another type of mold, you should also have it removed by a professional. Any type of mold in the home can cause fatigue and headaches, and it’s also extremely dangerous for those who suffer from allergies or asthma.

  1. Lead

Thankfully, new construction homes will not need to worry about lead in the paint or in the walls. However, for older homes, this is something you need to know. Lead paint was a popular choice before the 1970s, and many homes still have traces of lead paint on the walls. If your home has lead paint, it needs to be professionally removed. If you don’t, you are at risk of lead poisoning, which can cause serious physical and mental impairment. Lead poisoning is also even more dangerous to young children, so if you have lead paint in your home with a small child, it needs to be removed immediately.

There are many companies out there that will remove the lead paint for you. Keep in mind that even after the lead paint is removed, your home will need to undergo further testing to ensure that all traces have been removed. It’s a long and tedious process, but it’s important.

  1. Asbestos

Like lead paint, newer homes will not contain asbestos, but older homes are at risk. If your home has asbestos, it needs to be professionally removed. If you breathe in asbestos for a long time, you can do major damage to your lungs, including suffering from lung cancer. Removing asbestos from the home requires a tedious and detailed process, so make sure that you and your family have other accommodations during the duration of the removal process.

Your health is extremely important, and the last thing you need is for your home to be putting you at risk. If you’re concerned that your home may have pests, mold, lead, or asbestos, have it checked out by a professional as soon as possible.