Pharmaceutical compounding has been around for decades and continues to grow in popularity as consumers learn more about the incredible benefits and capabilities it has to offer. Every single person on the planet is unique with different health needs meaning that there is no one-size-fits-all solution when it comes to prescriptions. When a patient is unable to take the commercially available drug or requires a medication that has been discontinued for an example, a licensed pharmacist can recreate that medication through compounding.
Compounding medicine is the result of coordination between the patient, physician, and pharmacist all working together to focus on the patient’s individual health care needs, but is it a better option than a retail pharmacy?
Your doctor has the right to provide you with a prescription based on his or her knowledge of your health, using their best professional judgment. Depending on what your medical need is, the drug that your doctor prescribes to you may be one of two types: a commercially available drug or a compound drug. Your pharmacy and compounding specialists located in Bronx New York, Mediserv Pharmacy, offers a full range of pharmaceutical products, including both prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) medications
Commercially available drugs
- Available by prescription and are typically obtained at a retail pharmacy such as CVS, Wal-Mart, and Rite Aid
- Manufactured by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Approved by the FDA for safety
- Prepared by pharmacies that operate under state law
- Not reviewed by State Boards of Pharmacy or the FDA for safety and efficacy
- Determined by your physician if you need a commercially available or compounded drug
Why is Pharmacy Compounding a Better Option?
Pharmacy compounding is the art and science of preparing customized medications for patient’s specific needs. Back in the day, all medications were compounded but with the advent of mass drug manufacturing, the role of compounding declined. Over the last couple of decades, advancements of technology and the rise of innovative techniques have given pharmacists the ability to customize medications more easily. This makes researching the great benefits of compounding as a differentiator in your local market a great alternative to retail. Here are some of the reasons why pharmacy compounding is a better option!
Medications are easier to use and take
If you have ever taken a medication than you are no stranger to the unpleasant taste that can be associated with it. This usually makes medications difficult to take as prescribed, especially for patients who are notoriously particular about taking prescriptions like children, pets, and elderly patients. The good news is that a compound pharmacist can custom create your medication in the flavors of your choice. This makes taking your medication a breeze!
Access to discontinued medications
If you have ever had to deal with your prescription being discontinued, then you know the frustration that comes along with it. Fortunately, compound pharmacists have access to the highest quality pharmaceutical ingredients and can recreate discontinued drugs.
Allergy friendly prescriptions
Believe it or not, but there are a ton of ingredients that make up traditional medications and sometimes, they can cause an allergic reaction or sensitivity. Some of the ingredients found are:
A compound pharmacist can recreate a prescription without any of the offending ingredients, making the medication safe for the patient.
Alternative medication dosage forms
Sometimes, patients may need their medication dosage in a different form. For an example, a young child who may have a problem swallowing a pill might find it much easier to take their prescription in the form of a flavored liquid. Compound pharmacists have the ability to create medications in the form of your choice.
Compound pharmacies are a great alternative for anyone wanting to tailor their medications. They make medications easier to take, give patients access to discontinued prescriptions, and offer allergy friendly options – it is no wonder why these special pharmacies are on the rise.
How To Choose The Best Pharmacy Nearby
You have to keep in mind that your pharmacist is going to be the most important person when selecting a good and reliable pharmacy where you can buy medications and dietary supplements. It can be difficult finding one that’ll provide you with good service and help you with all your health-related needs. That’s why it’s important to choose the best pharmacy nearby for your health, safety, and convenience.
Check the following tips when choosing the best pharmacy:
- Check customer service: When choosing a pharmacy nearby, a major factor to consider is the reputation of the pharmacy. Also, you want to make sure that they have a good experience with their customers. This way, you can feel comfortable when dealing with the pharmacist. Ask friends, family, and co-workers if they have ever used the pharmacy and see how the service was.
- Check online sources: Finding the right pharmacy doesn’t have to be hard at all. There are a variety of online websites and companies that offer free advice on how to find the best pharmacy for you. Just remember to take some time before visiting the pharmacy in person, and to find out all you can about their policies and procedures before making a purchase.
- Check the flow of operations: While visiting the pharmacy, keep an eye out for any signs that suggest that the pharmacy may not be the best one. Some signs include poor inventory management, long waiting times, and patients wait longer for their order. Also, ask the pharmacist if you can speak with a pharmacist supervisor for questions that you may have. The supervisor may be able to answer these questions in private.
- Do in-depth research: The last thing that you need to do before deciding on where to find the best pharmacy is to do some research. Try using Google to search for reviews and testimonials on each company and type of pharmacy.