Denied Social Security? Here’s What You Can Do

Denial of Social Security claims happens frequently. Denied claims are usually because the applicant does not produce enough required information. The applicant must prove beyond a doubt that he or she is disabled or can no longer work. The applicant will need a statement from his or her physician and maybe even from any previous employment. The following list is of ways that the applicant can get a denied Social Security claim reversed.

1. Evaluate Your Situation

A. Are you employed? If you are working, you will not qualify for SSDI or SSI

B. Is your impairment severe enough that you cannot work? If not, then you will not qualify for SSDI or SSI. If yes, is the impairment severe enough to claim Disability for at least twelve months? If not, you may not qualify for SSDI.

C. Do your impairments satisfy all of the criteria of disability defined in the SSA Listing of Impairments? If yes, you should automatically qualify for Disability. If not, you may not qualify. You should speak to your doctor and see if he agrees that your impairment should qualify you for Disability.

D. If you cannot do your normal work, are you able to do some other general form of work? If yes, you will not qualify for SSDI or SSI.

2. Talk to Your Physician

Ask your doctor if he agrees that you are disabled. Does he agree that you should qualify for Disability? Is he willing to write a statement for Social Security that you are disabled, along with reasons why he believes that you are disabled?

3. Get a Lawyer

Many lawyers can help advocate for a denied Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) and denied Supplemental Security Income (SSI) claims. Ransom, Gilbertson, Martin & Ratliff, L.L.P has personal injury attorneys in Portland, Oregon. They are an Oregon-based law firm that represents disabled and injured clients from all over the state, with lawyers who specialize in denied Social Security claims.

If you do not live in any of the states listed above, just do an online search for Social Security claims lawyer and find a lawyer in your area.

Once you have evaluated your situation, do you believe you should still qualify for Social Security Benefits? If so, talk to your doctor. If he is not agreeable, you may need a new doctor. There are also many lawyers across the country who can help you win Social Security denials. Many of them also give free consultations. Many of them will appear in court with you.