Gallstones are hard, pebble-shaped stones that get formed in the gallbladder. Gallstones affect about 10 to 22 percent of the total Hyderabad’s population. But out of these, only 80 percent of the group show any signs or symptoms. But if someone is having unbearable pain, the doctor may recommend taking out the gallbladder.
Cholecystectomy is the surgical removal of the gallbladder. It can be done using two surgeries- open surgery or laparoscopy. If you are wondering what will happen after the removal of the organ then let me assure you that your digestive process will not be affected even after the gallbladder is taken out.
In open cholecystectomy, a large cut of 12-15 inches is made in the abdomen. People undergoing open surgery require a longer hospital stay and recovery time.
With a laparoscopic procedure, a small incision is made through which a small laparoscope is inserted to help the doctor to see inside. People in Hyderabad are undergoing laparoscopic treatment to remove gallstones for its several benefits. These include-
- Avoiding large open wounds or incisions that reduces scarring
- Reduced chances of blood loss, pain, and discomfort. But pain or discomfort can occur depending on the speed of healing and the type of body.
- Early discharge from the hospital, sometimes on the same day of the surgery. But doctors can recommend overnight stay for thorough monitoring.
- Laparoscopic treatment for gallstones ensures there is a reduced risk of infection in the wounds. But infections can develop in some rare cases.
- Patients with a busy schedule opt for laparoscopic treatment as the patients recover faster compared to traditional surgery. You can resume activities within a week or two.
For people who are skeptical of going under-the-knife, doctors suggest the following treatment for them.
- Dissolution- The gallstones are dissolved using a chemical. This takes up to two years to cure gallstones. Its the only solution to people who have complications with general anesthesia.
- Lithotripsy- The stones are broken using ultrasonic shock waves. The broken stones can then pass safely in the stools.
- Endoscopy and fluoroscopy- A fiber-optic camera, also known as an endoscope, is inserted through the mouth and then the bile duct is widened with the help of an electrically heated wire. The stones are then removed.
Do you know that when unused bile gets hardened from the gallbladder, it results in the formation of these stones? Another cause for the formation of stones in the gallbladder is because of an increase in the cholesterol level. This can be evoked by the following reasons.
- Weight. The risk of developing gallstones is higher in overweight individuals, especially in women.
- Age. People who are over 60 years are more prone to developing gallstones.
- Pregnancy. The secretion of estrogen during pregnancy, hormone replacement therapy, and birth control pills increases cholesterol level.
- Genetic. If your family has a history of suffering from gallstones, then you are more likely to have gallstones.
- Skipping meals. Skipping out meals adds increases the risk of gallstones.
Although there are no particular signs or symptoms if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms then consult with your doctor immediately.
- Below the ribs, you might feel pain on the right-hand side of the body
- You might have back pain or in the right shoulder
- Nausea and vomiting can also occur at times
You’ll be surprised to know that gallstones can occur at any age. But it is more likely to develop in people with diabetes, women taking contraceptives, losing weight rapidly or individuals whose intake of fat is high. If you are diabetic or have lost weight within a couple of days and having severe pain, book an appointment at your nearest clinic and get checked for gallstones. The doctor can ask for any of the following tests to check for stones in the gallbladder.
- Blood test
- Cholesterol test
Gallstones surgery can be expensive, especially in metropolitan cities such as Delhi NCR, Bangalore, Hyderabad, etc. The super-specialty hospitals offer wholesome packages that can sometimes be too costly to be afforded by the middle-class families. At times, these are not covered by medical insurance which poses a problem.
Fortunately, PristynCare provides a hassle-free experience to their patients by taking care of the entire process of the surgical procedure- from admission to the hospital to the follow-up after surgery. Their doctors have high experience in performing laparoscopic surgeries for gallstones.