You might not be doing everything necessary to take care of your fingernails. You should examine your nails and see if they are healthy looking and strong. You might have dents, ridges, or areas where there is a different shape or an unusual color. These are undesirable that you can avoid when you take proper care of your fingernails. If your fingernails that don’t look like they are healthy you may have another condition that you have to address. Here is how to take care of your fingernails and what to look for.
Your fingernails are made out of proteins which are composed of laminated layers. We call this protein keratin. it grows from the base of your nail which is under the cuticle area. A healthy fingernail is without any grooves or pits. They’ll be uniform in their consistency and color and they won’t have discoloration or spots on them.
A fingernail might develop a vertical ridge which is harmless. This is at the cuticle to the tip of the nail. As you get older, vertical ridges are usually more prominent. A fingernail might also have a white line or spot which is due to an injury. These will usually grow out of the nail. Most nail conditions are going to be normal but there are some that you should address by seeing your physician or a dermatologist such as:
- The nail is discolored or the color is different. Discoloration might Encompass the entire nail or there might be a streak underneath the nail.
- The nail shape me change or it might curl
- You could have thickening or thinning nails
- The nail might separate from the surrounding skin area
- Bleeding might be occurring around the nail
- You pain or swelling around the nails
- The nail might not be growing in the right way
What to do to Keep your Fingernails Looking Great
- You need to keep the fingernails clean and dry. This prevents bacteria from getting under the fingernails. When you have prolonged or repeated contact with water the fingernail can split. When you wash dishes try to wear cotton-lined rubber gloves. You should also wear these gloves when you’re using harsh chemicals and the cleaning
- You should always practice good nail hygiene. You want to use sharp clippers or manicure scissors to look after your nails. The nail should be stream straight across and then the tips need to be rounded into a gentle curve
- When you are using you should rub some of this into the fingernails as well as the cuticles
- You can harden nail by applying a protective layer with a nail hardener as this can strengthen the nails
- biotin might be able to help you. You can speak to your doctor about this. Research indicates that a supplement of biotin can help brittle fingernails or weak fingernails gain strength
What You Don’t Want to do to Your Fingernails
- You don’t want to pick or bite at the cuticles. These are habits which end up damaging the nail bed. When you have a small cut alongside the fingernail bacteria as well as fungi can get into the nail and infection can start
- Don’t ignore problems which popup relating to your nails. Consult your Dr. if you develop growths or warts on or around your fingernails. According to https://warts.org – Periungual warts are a result of the HPV virus.
- If you have a hangnail you don’t want to pull this off. Tissue might come off with the hangnail. You want to use clippers and remove hangnails carefully
- You don’t want to use products on your nails that are harsh. You want to limit the use of nail polish remover. If you do use this remover you want one that is acetone free
- If you have a nail problem you don’t want to ignore these issues. Any problem with your nail that does not go away quickly could be an indication that you have another problem. You want to consult with your dermatologist or your doctor to have the issue examined in a professional way
Pedicures and Manicures
If you go get a pedicure or manicure to look after your nails make sure you are at a salon that has a state license which is current. You want to work with technicians that have a license by the state board. You don’t want cuticles removed because they seal the skin to your nail plate. If you remove a cuticle you could get a nail infection. You want to ensure that the nail technician has properly sterilized all the tools are going to be using so infections can’t spread.
You should ask them about how they clean their foot baths. You want them to be using a bleach solution which is cleaned each time a new client comes in and the filters have to be cleaned on a regular basis.
Summary and Research Reference
According to the Mayo Clinic – Fingernail Research Report: It is not that difficult to look after your nails but it is something that you have to address on a periodic basis. Make note of how your nails look now and if you notice anything that looks out of the ordinary you might have to see a dermatologist or a doctor to address the issue. Any problem that does not go away on its own should be looked at right away to ensure you don’t have an underlying health issue.