Spinning, also known as indoor cycling, became popular in the ‘90s and originated in New York. Ever since its inception, it has remained popular and is still one of the sought-after complete body training exercise these days. If you’re planning on enrolling in a spin class, here are some benefits to help you take that leap.
- They’re Always Convenient
Rochester is known for its cold weather and harsh snow season. This kind of weather makes it difficult for anyone to do some outside activities like jogging. With spin classes, you don’t ever have to worry about missing anything. Even when it gets cold outside, you still get to ride a bike and break a sweat.
One of the reasons why people procrastinate working out is because they don’t have the energy and motivation to go to the gym, especially on a cold and gloomy morning. If you’re really serious about working out, you can buy your own stationary bike. This way, you never really have to leave the house, and there will be no reason for you not to get that refreshing morning workout.
- Induces Happy Hormones
Spinning makes you happy because of the endorphins that you secrete when you exercise. This hormone interacts with your brain to promote a more positive feeling all over your body, hence making you happy and bright. Even a few minutes of workout before you start your day can have a tremendous boost in your overall emotional health. Here are some more amazing benefits of endorphins:
- They block out pain receptors – When endorphins are released in your body, they target pain receptors and block them. For instance, if you have a terrible migraine, you can do an intensive 15-minute workout to alleviate the pain.
- Helps with anxiety and depression – You’re probably familiar with the increased number of people with anxiety and depression these days. Those who suffer from anxiety and depression can benefit from the mood-lifting powers of endorphins.
- Helps you sleep better – Spinning can give you a more relaxed mind and body, which helps you sleep better.
- Reduces stress – An excellent way to clear your mind is by doing some physical activities like spinning. While your body releases the happy hormone, you’re able to focus and free your headspace.
- Improves Cardiovascular Health
You’re probably familiar with the many benefits of cycling to your cardiovascular health. Through spin classes, you get the same benefit and more. Your cardiovascular system such as your heart and lungs produce oxygenated blood to get you moving. If these parts of your body are healthy, you get to be more active and move better.
Fitness experts say that cardio is essential for your overall heart health. Here are some more benefits of having excellent cardiovascular health:
- Keeps your blood pressure low
- Controls the cholesterol level in your arteries
- Helps prevent diabetes
- Minimizes chronic pain
- Effectively Burns Calories
Spin classes aren’t just a fun team activity but also a great way to burn a lot of calories. An hour-long session can make you burn around 400 to 550 calories.
The amount of calories you burn will, of course, vary depending on the effort you put in and the intensity of the class. Your weight will also determine the calories you’ll lose. A person who doesn’t have a lot of body weight will not lose a lot of calories as compared to someone who weighs more.
- Improves Your Core Muscles
More than the cardiovascular benefits, you also get to improve your core muscles with spinning. Your glutes, abdominal, and back muscles will get a good workout if you maintain the right posture while riding the bike. Riding in an improper position will not only feel uncomfortable, it will also put you at risk of getting injured.
Proper posture on a bike is with your back straight and abdominal muscles tight. This position will help maintain your balance even in high-intensity workout sessions. Continue practicing this position in each class and, eventually, this posture will feel more natural every time you ride a bike.
Spin classes are a great way to get a full body workout even during a cold winter day in Rochester. An hour on a stationary bike every day will not only make you lose some weight, but it’ll also put you in a better mood, and not to mention getting you the fantastic body you’ve always wanted. If you put in the hard work and consistently attend classes, you’ll reap all of these amazing benefits and maybe even more.