With blooming health care sector nationally and globally, the question of how to dispose the medical waste safely repeats itself. Luckily, nowadays things are a lot easier, you can look into ewmdumpsterrental.com as an example of a good service, that can help take your garbage where it needs to go. All you have to do is put it within a specified dumpster. The medical wastes are categorized into any of the following before disposal
- General Medical Waste
- It is not hazardous
- It contributes the major share of the medical waste
- It includes plastics, papers, office wastes that do not require special handling.
- Infectious Medical
- As the name suggests it possess risk to living beings. It includes bloody bandages, cotton, surgical wastes, human body parts removed after surgery, swabs.
- The disposal of these wastes are governed by set of rules as decided by the government of the state
- Hazardous Medical Waste
- These wastes are not infectious but are dangerous
- It includes chemotherapy agents, solvents, chemicals, etc.
- Radioactive Medical
- As the name suggests these wastes contain radioactive material in them
- It includes thallium stress tests, nuclear medicines to treat cancer, etc. These waste materials should be sealed and disposed according to the government compliance.
The medical wastes are now ready for disposal. Here is a complete guide on how to dispose medical waste safely. One can visit centres of medical waste disposal Los Angeles for more details.
Stage 1 – Collection And Segregation
- Collect the medical wastes in separate containers. These should be strong and do not break while handling
- Keep the sharp needles, syringes and the contaminated tools used in patient’s treatment separately. This is done to avoid the infectious waste from mixing with the other general waste disposal
- Segregate the liquid and solid waste separately
- Collect the waste on
their respective bags. For instance red colour bags are used for sharp
containers. The segregation based on colours is as follows
- Red Colour Bag – Sharp objects like needles, razors, blades, staples, trocars, wires, ampules etc.
- Blue Colour Bag – Infectious waste like blood, urine samples, IV tubes, cultures, contaminated PPE, etc
- Yellow Colour Bag – Radioactive wastes like empty syringes, empty ampules, gowns, tubes, wipes, empty IVs, packaging, etc.
Stage 2 – Store And Transport
- Select a secured area for storing the wastes. It should be inaccessible to public, areas of food consumption
- Store the waste in the refrigerator if required.
- Observe the wastes periodically to prevent the infections being transmitted.
Stage 3 – Treatment
There are 2 ways of treatment involved in treating the medical waste namely
- Incineration systems – It includes treating pathological waste and pharmaceutical wastes
- Non – incineration
system – This includes the following types
- Thermal treatment– Autoclaving – used for sharp wastes and infectious wastes
- Irradiative treatment – Microwave – used for sharp and infectious wastes
- Chemical treatment– Chemical and liquid waste generated from laboratory.
- Biological treatment – enzymes – Still undeveloped
Processing The Medical Waste
In order to reduce the hazards, the wastes are properly collected and processed. It includes carting, conveyors, sterilizing, pre – crushers, deliquefying, baler, etc
In order to learn more visit a medical waste disposal Los Angeles