Malicious Mold: How Your Home Affects Your Health

Mold is a fungus that makes its way into many homes, and it is important to consider when taking precautions in your home because it can be the cause of a variety of illnesses. Molds can be hazardous to your health, and most people have no clue their home has a problem until they can visually see it. Unfortunately, you don’t have to be able to see mold for it to take a toll on your health. Mold spores are so small they make their way into your body undetected, and they can negatively impact your health in the following ways.


People who are constantly exposed to mold may suffer an allergic reaction to it. The reaction can occur directly after exposure, but for most people, it can take some time to manifest. Both mold and mold spores can cause allergic reactions, and they cause many symptoms like sneezing, coughing, wheezing, rashes and eye redness. People who aren’t allergic to mold can still suffer nasty symptoms, as it tends to irritate their eyes, airways, and skin. In some cases, people develop severe reactions to mold exposure, and can suffer from serious things like high fevers and difficulty breathing.

It Can Make You Sicker

People who are already sick need to be very careful with mold. Chronic respiratory diseases like asthma and cystic fibrosis are worsened when a person is chronically exposed to mold. People with a compromised immune system need to make sure that they avoid moldy environments. When your immune system is compromised, you can’t effectively fight off the mold, and you might develop a severe reaction called allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis. This reaction can destroy your lung tissue. If you are worried about an infestation, talk to a company like T. Simpson Roofing who can give your house and roof an inspection for any water damage or mold.

Skin And Vascular Damage

When mold touches your skin, it can lead to an instant reaction; this is especially true if you are allergic to it. People who are exposed to mold might complain of itchy skin, redness, rashes and light sensitivity. Once it touches your skin, it can enter your body and cause vascular damage. Scientists aren’t sure exactly how bad mold can damage your body, but they recommend that people avoid mold when possible; it’s a lot safer to live in a home when you aren’t exposed to mold regularly.

Remember, mold likes to live in dark and damp places, so you need to check your home for spots where it might be growing. Check your gutters to make sure that they aren’t clogged. Any Siding contractors in Barrie will tell you clogged gutters can lead to moisture seepage in your walls and siding. Eventually, this moisture leads to mold growth and colonization. If your immune system is compromised, you need to make a concerted effort to live in a place where there isn’t much mold; if you don’t, the mold will make your symptoms worse.

Written by BrookeChaplan

I live in enchanted New Mexico and I love to run, bike, hike and basically be outdoors anytime I can.