Allen Amorn Analyzes How Yoga and Meditation Reduce Obesity and Improve Heart Health

Although the benefits of yoga and meditation are quite popular, there are still a lot of people who are not sold on the concept of healing the body through mental and spiritual exercise. After all, the entire notion of yoga relies on a wide variety of simple physical activities where the mind plays a crucial role. Fortunately, as research continues to advance and the movement gains momentum, it will be harder and harder to advocate against these two disciplines. In fact, according to an electrophysiologist from Poland, Ohio, Dr. Allen Amorn, yoga and meditation can be correlated with a reduction of obesity and better heart health. 

Promotes Healthier Food Habits
One of the most obvious ways in which yoga can contribute to a reduction in obesity according to Dr. Allen Amorn revolves around food choices. According to numerous studies, people who are dedicated to yoga often improve their eating habits. Doing so allows them to maximize the potential of their bodies as it is not hindered by excessive caloric intake. When this is combined with the frequent exercising that comes through yoga stretches and flexibility training, the body eventually starts burning more fat than it brings in. Thus, there is an overall energy deficit that the body rectifies by burning fat cells and, in turn, weight loss. 

Raises Activity Levels
Although the food that one eats accounts for about 90 percent of their overall fitness, physical activity takes care of the remaining 10 percent needed to achieve optimum health. This is why it is important to introduce some form of exercising into the daily routine. Fortunately, yoga is an outstanding alternative as it requires no more than 20-30 minutes per day and comes with a lot of different programs made to fit everyone’s needs. So, those who may be just commencing their journey can rely on beginner plans while experienced individuals tackle more challenging programs. 

Helps Quit Drugs and Alcohol
When yoga is combined with an appropriate level of meditation, there is a good chance that it will help one overcome various forms of addiction. This is because the entire concept of meditation is built on engaging the mind to help become more aware of the internal and external influences. In translation, it means that the person will contemplate all the ways in which their environment affects them while considering how their body’s performance leads to current behaviors. 

For example, somebody who may be dealing with a lot of internal pain may self-medicate and eventually build a dangerous addiction to narcotics. Well, meditating was created to help work through these types of issues by identifying the problem, considering alternative solutions, and choosing the best one.

To that end, Dr. Allen Amorn advises individuals who may be addicted to drugs, alcohol, or even things like smoking to look into meditating. Doing so could help their body build a much higher tolerance for the lack of said substances. Eventually, once yoga is introduced explains Dr. Allen Amorn, they may not even have the need to drink or smoke as the pleasure center in their brain will find satisfaction in constant activity. Consequently, the danger of heart problems and obesity will reduce as substance abuse has a direct connection to both. 

Building Up Emotional Resilience
Considering the fact that the right combination of yoga and meditation can help brake various forms of addiction, it is safe to say that these two help construct higher emotional resilience. What does this mean? Well, emotional resilience is what prevents stress in someone’s life from affecting their daily performance. For example, a person who lacks the necessary emotional resilience will not be able to function properly when stressed out because their anxiety levels will spike rapidly. 

Fortunately, given that the vast majority of yoga and meditation is based on building a formidable mind-body connection, this issue can be avoided. In other words, people who partake in frequent activities will be able to raise their resiliency and avoid losing their footing when the circumstances change unpredictably. Thus, stress eating or dangerous panic induced cardiovascular problems will be lessened.

Socializing Contributes to Positivity
Finally, it is important to note the fact that yoga and meditation, while being individual forms of exercise, are often done in large groups. Just consider, for instance, the number of healthcare clubs that have optional classes for people who enjoy these disciplines. Well, as science has proven many times in the past, one of the easiest ways to overcome stress and depression that could lead to overeating and clogging of arteries is socialization. Hence why it is very significant to stay connected with people, especially during challenging times. Not to mention that finding friends who will share the same objectives will be much easier!